Newman's Neck (44NB180)
The Newman's Neck site (44NB180) is located on land patented by Robert Newman in 1651 as part of the Northern Neck's
earliest English settlement at Chicacoan in Virginia. Situated on the southern shores of the Potomac River in Northumberland
County, Virginia between Presley and Hull's creeks, the eight earthfast buildings found at the site included a manor
house, kitchen, quarter, cellared building, two barns, and two small outbuildings. These structures are associated
with the Neale and Haynie families' occupations, and the occupations of enslaved and indentured individuals and families,
from the 1670s to the 1740s. The location of Robert Newman's earlier house has not been discovered. Inventories and a
will provide important information about who was resident at the site, their material possessions, and plantation
Newman's Neck is the most extensively excavated 17th-century plantation in Northumberland County, and one of only two
on the Northern Neck for which substantial evidence of the domestic landscape has been documented. The Neales and their
descendants were not political officeholders and were not in the same wealth bracket as their neighbors, including the
Mottrom and Ball families. Although the final owner, William Haynie, was a wealthy man at the time of his death, through
much of the site's occupation, the family can be characterized as middling freeholders who owned their own land and a
small group of enslaved and indentured workers. The site provides important insight into the materiality of life for
planters of middling status during a crucial period of demographic, social and political transition in the Potomac Valley.
Stephen Potter first identified the Newman's Neck site in 1978 during a pedestrian survey of the southern shores of the
Potomac River for his dissertation on Native American settlement patterns. The site was threatened by the construction
of residential housing and, in 1989, limited shovel testing was undertaken by staff at the Virginia Department of Historic
Resources (VDHR). No information about the results of the shovel test pit survey has been located. From May 1989 to
January 1990, Charles Hodges supervised excavations at the site as a salvage project funded by VDHR's Threatened Sites
Program. Plow zone was mechanically removed from the site in areas where surface variation in artifact density
suggested the location of structures. The site was then gridded into 10-foot or 20-foot squares numbered by their grid
coordinates. Groups of related features were given "structure numbers" and features discovered independent of structures
were given separate provenience numbers. As the excavations were underway, Martha McCartney conducted extensive documentary
research pertaining to the Newman family.
The fill of large features was screened through ¼-inch mesh and the entire fill of Features 4 and 112 was screened through
both 1/4-inch and 1/16-inch mesh. Samples from some of the other features were treated this way. Some smaller features were not
screened at all, and many landscape-related features were recorded but not excavated. Details for particular contexts can be
found in Heath et al. (2009).
Hodges' work revealed the remains of a large plantation domestic core. Due to a lack of funding for analysis, a field report
was produced by Hodges in 1990 but no systematic artifact analysis could be done at that time. In 2008 and 2009, Barbara Heath
and anthropology students from the University of Tennessee reanalyzed the site and conducted additional archival research.
Heath and her students determined that there were two distinct phases of occupation at the site based on the site's landscape
and artifact dates. The first phase of occupation (ca. 1670-1725) corresponds with the construction of the house by Daniel
Neale and the occupations of Ebenezer Neale and John Haynie.
During this time, a 20-by-40-foot earthfast hall and chamber dwelling with a central chimney and a 12-by-21-foot addition was built.
A 4-by-7.5-foot root cellar was located in the southern half of the manor house that was filled before 1720. There was also a
kitchen/quarter to the south of the dwelling that measured 21 feet square. Two additional outbuildings stood during the first
phase of occupation, including a tobacco barn and a well. Fence lines divided the yard east of the dwelling into roughly equal
During the second phase of occupation, when William Haynie owned Newman's Neck (ca. 1725 to1747), the original barn was dismantled
and the well was abandoned. Three new structures were built, including a cellar-set building, a large barn, and a new quarter.
The landscape became more complex during this period, with fences subdividing the area around the manor house in a purposefully
Between the pedestrian survey conducted by Potter and the excavations led by Hodges, 6,488 non-faunal artifacts were recovered
from Newman's Neck. Ceramic analysis was used to determine a terminus post quem of 1740 and to calculate a Mean Ceramic Date
of 1717; a ceramic intersection of 1675 to 1740 was also determined, all of which correspond well with the hypothesized date
range of 1672 to 1747 derived from the historical records.
Architectural remains comprised the largest group of recovered artifacts and include brick, lime, mortar, plaster, daub, nails,
and window glass, some fragments of which likely formed a diamond-shaped pane. Bottle glass is well represented, with 189
fragments, including two partial wine bottle seals. A minimum of five wine bottles are present in the assemblage. The 431
ceramic sherds include North Devon gravel-tempered wares, which was the best represented, and North Devon gravel-free. Other
types include Buckley earthenware, Manganese Mottled earthenware, redware, tin-glazed earthenware, and Westerwald or Rhenish blue and
gray stoneware. The assemblage also includes 30 fragments of Morgan Jones and eleven pieces of colonoware. The minimum vessel count
for the site was estimated to be 60 vessels. Brad Hatch has included the ceramics and faunal remains from the site in his
study of changing definitions of early modern manhood in the 17th-century Potomac Valley.
Small finds consist of adornment and clothing-related items, including four beads, three buttons, an alloy ring set with
three paste jewels, a buckle and aiglet, pins, and a scissors fragment. Artifacts relating to firearms include a possible
gun barrel, lead shot and balls, and gun flint. Horse-related objects include a bit, buckle, spur, and possible bridle boss.
The category of tools and work-related objects is comprised of a sickle, an iron heater, and a spoon.
The assemblage of 593 clay tobacco pipe fragments included 48 marked or decorated pipes of which eight are possibly Dutch.
Two English pipe stems are marked "LE," probably for Llewellin Evans; one "WILEVANS" for William Evans I or II; and one
"RT" for one of the Robert Tippets. Three fragments of locally-made red pipes were also found. Lauren McMillan has included
Newman's Neck in her study of white and locally-made tobacco pipes, trade, and identity in the 17th-century Potomac
The exploitation of domestic and wild animals is represented by 2,931 were faunal remains. Of these, 2,684 were excavated
from features, 1,891 of which came from phase one feature contexts and 793 of which came from phase two contexts. Cattle bones
predominate, followed by pig, fish, deer, sheep, and chicken.
Hatch, D. Brad. 2015. An Historical Archaeology of
Early Modern Manhood in the Potomac River Valley of Virginia, 1645-1730. Doctoral dissertation, Department of
Anthropology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Heath, Barbara J., Eleanor E. Breen, Dustin S. Lawson, and Daniel W. H. Brock. 2009.
Reassessment of Newman's Neck (44NB180). Report to the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Richmond, VA, from the
Department of Anthropology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN.
Heath, Barbara J. in press. Dynamic Landscapes: The Emergence of Formal Spaces in the Chesapeake.
Hodges, Charles T. 1990. Excavations
at 44NB180 and 44NB174: An Early English Colonial Plantation
and Prehistoric Shell Midden in Northumberland County, Virginia. Contract #A900071. Report to the Virginia Department
of Historic Resources, Richmond, VA.
McCartney, Martha W. 1990. 44NB180 and Its Historical Continuum: Newman's Neck, Northumberland County,
Virginia. Report on Archival Research. Report to the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, Richmond, VA.
McMillan, Lauren. 2015. Politics,
Conflict, and Exchange in the Chesapeake: An Archaeological and
Historical Study of the Tobacco Pipe Trade in the Potomac Valley, ca. 1630-1730. Doctoral dissertation,
Department of Anthropology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
What You Need To Know To Use This Collection
The Newman's Neck Site was occupied c. 1670-1740. A controlled surface collection was used to identify artifact
concentrations. Plow zone was mechanically removed from the site. Some excavated features were screened, while others were
not. Not all features were excavated.
Further Information About the Collection
The Newman's Neck collection is owned and curated by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. For more information
about the collection and collection access, contact Laura Galke, Chief Curator, at 804-482-6441; email
To Download Data
Data and a variety of other resources from this site are available for download. To download data,
please go to the Downloads page.