Hogue Site (18CH103)
The Hogue site (18CH103), located on the south side of Piney Branch near its intersection with Zekiah Run
in Charles County, Maryland, is a Native American hamlet occupied intermittently from the Late Archaic
through the 17th century. The site is believed to be associated with the Zekiah Indians and with Zekiah
Fort (1680-ca. 1692).
During the colonial period, the Hogue site was part of Zekiah Manor, a 9,000-acre proprietary manor
laid out by Charles Calvert, the Third Lord Baltimore, in 1667. The manor is located north of modern-day
La Plata and includes part of Waldorf. At the time the manor was erected, Zekiah Indians were living in the
area; Calvert directed his agents to interview the Indians about local landmarks when efforts were made in
1673 to resurvey the manor's boundaries. Calvert built a house he intended for use during the summer somewhere
on Zekiah Manor; that site has not been found although it is possible that it was on His Lordship's Manor.
The Hogue site does not appear to be the site of the Calvert summer house.
The Hogue site resides on land in Zekiah Manor that does not appear to have been subdivided and sold until
sometime before 1747, when the property was reported in the possession of the Moreland family.
American University archaeologist Charles W. McNett visited the Hogue farm in January 1972. McNett noted
that the site had been collected by avocational archaeologist R. G. Slattery sometime around 1937;
Slattery donated the collection to the Smithsonian Institution (USNM Catalog Number 417531-5). McNett
and William Gardner examined Slattery's materials at the Smithsonian and later reported that this site
"is one of the few Zekiah Swamp sites with any pottery at all." They noted that the majority of the
pottery was sand-tempered and appeared to be Potomac Creek.
The site was formally recorded a little over a year later, in June 1973, by Charles Pettit and Carl Manson.
In 1976, avocational archaeologist R.E. McDaniel visited the site with Charles Pettit. In a subsequent
letter, McDaniel described two concentrations of artifacts at the site, one considerably larger than
the other with the two separated by about 100 yards. They reported collecting "about thirty points and
as yet, unknown number of scrapers, blades, and choppers… Point styles run from a perfect Palmer through
LeCroy, side-notched, stemmed, and up to the Piscataway. No quartz triangles." The larger concentration
contained pottery with "grit or crushed quartz temper."
In 1981, as part of a larger project surveying artifact collections in southern Maryland, archaeologist
Jeff Wanser reexamined collections associated with the Hogue site. These collections included materials
in the state's possession (now housed at the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory in St.
Leonard, Maryland), at the Smithsonian Institution, and in the private possession of collectors R. E.
McDaniel and Robert Ogle. From this review, Wanser concluded that the Hogue site reflected occupation
from the Early Archaic through the Late Woodland (7500 BC-1600 AD) with the bulk of the occupation at
both sites appearing to be of Middle and Late Archaic date (6000 BC-1000 BC). Wanser did report seeing
a single fragment of colonoware reportedly recovered from the site.
In 2010, St. Mary's College of Maryland conducted a Phase I survey of the Hogue property and the adjoining
Steffens property. The purpose of this survey was to identify settlements associated with Zekiah Fort,
a settlement that was found the following year in February 2011. A grid aligned with Maryland State Plane
was established on the property. A total of 599 shovel tests were excavated at intervals of 50 feet with fill
screened through ¼-inch mesh; 322 of these shovel tests were within the boundaries of the Hogue site. All
artifacts were retained. In areas where Potomac Creek ceramics were recovered, the shovel test interval
was reduced to 25 feet.
The 2010 investigations yielded 940 artifacts from 322 shovel tests. The majority of the artifacts
consist of lithics, including shatter (n=190), flakes (n=466), cores (n=8), tools (n=6), projectile
points (n=6), and fire-cracked rock (n=84). Of the six projectile points, only one is complete enough
to be typed and includes a possible Bare Island point of quartzite. Native-made ceramics include 14
fragments, including eight Potomac Creek plain fragments, one Potomac Creek cord-marked fragment, one
Popes Creek cord-marked fragment, and three unidentified fragments.
The recovery of a single wrought iron nail fragment and three fragments of European flint debitage
(one with traces of cortex) along with the relatively large numbers of Potomac Creek plain ceramics
suggests that the Hogue site, which appears to have been occupied throughout prehistory, was occupied
by Native people in the 17th century. The site may represent a hamlet associated with the Zekiah
Indians that Governor Charles Calvert reported were in the area, or possibly a hamlet associated
with Zekiah Fort (1680-ca. 1692), located
approximately a mile north of the site.
While the Colonial Encounters project focuses on the period between 1500 and 1720, the Hogue site
reveals a long history of occupation, an important fact of indigenous life in this region and
one that almost certainly shaped the region's colonial encounters.
Flick, Alex J., Skylar A. Bauer, Scott M. Strickland, D. Brad Hatch, and Julia A. King. 2012.
"…a place now known until them:" The Search for Zekiah Fort.
St. Mary's City, St. Mary's College of Maryland.
Gardner, William M., and Charles W. McNett, Jr. 1970. Problems in
Potomac River Archaeology. Proposal to the National Science Foundation. Unpublished
manuscript on file, Department of Anthropology, American University, Washington, DC.
McDaniel, R. E. "Mac." 1976. Letter in possession of the Maryland
Historical Trust, Maryland Department of Planning, Crownsville, Maryland.
Wanser, Jeffrey C. 1982. A Survey of Artifact Collections from
Central Southern Maryland. Maryland Historical Trust Manuscript Series No. 23. Maryland
Historical Trust and the Coastal Resource Division, Tidewater Administration, Department
of Natural Resources, Annapolis, MD.
What You Need To Know To Use This Collection
- The Hogue site is represented in the collection as 599 shovel tests.
- All shovel tests were screened through 1/4-inch mesh.
Further Information About the Collection
The Hogue collection is privately owned and curated by St. Mary's College of Maryland.
For more information about the collection and collection access, contact Julia A. King,
Professor of Anthropology, at 240-895-4398; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Download Data
Data and a variety of other resources from this site are available for download. To download data,
please go to the Downloads page.